The Rental and Utilities assistance is designed to be a short-term, needs-based intervention to prevent homelessness. As such, individuals must meet the following additional criteria in order to receive assistance:
• Client must be currently housed. Homeless individuals are not eligible for this assistance. Assistance is provided to help homeowners and renters remain in their current place of residence.
• Client must be able to document that he/she has a legal right to occupy the premises or has responsibility for the utility payment.
• Client must demonstrate he/she does not have the resources to meet rent, mortgage, or or utility payments, and in the absence of this assistance, would be at risk of homelessness.
• Client must be current with the agency’s paperwork.
Reassessment is required every 6 months.
• Client CANNOT be receiving any other government housing assistance (Sec. 8, Housing Authorities, Tenant-Based program, VOA housing, etc.)
• Rent and Mortgage Assistance
- Must be reasonable and represent actual housing costs.
- The amount of assistance provided is not limited to Fair Market Rents or “reasonable rent”.
• Utility Assistance
Note: This agency may establish caps (limits) for rent, mortgage, or utility assistance. Requesting help does not guarantee assistance.
• Security Deposits and First Month’s Rent
- Assistance is designed to help homeowners and renters stay in their current place of residence; as a result, security deposits and first month’s rent are not eligible costs under this program. However, such costs may be eligible as costs under the supportive services activity.
• Moving Assistance
• Household Supplies and Furnishings
• Automobile Expenses
• Telephone Expenses
- Telephone expenses are not payable as a utility expense under this assistance.
• Bills with cut off notice or reconnection fees.
• NOTE: Deadline for ASSISTANCE requests is now FRIDAYS, 12pm (noon).
Please remember that ALL REQUESTS TAKE 5 - 7 DAYS TO BE PAID.
Do Not wait until your “cut-of” or eviction date to request assistance.