SLAC will be CLOSED the following days for the holiday season:
SLAC and CCC will be CLOSED 1/24 and 1/25/19 for staff training.
SLAC will be CLOSED Thursday and Friday, November 23-23, for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thank you.
New HIV Testing Hours at RWC.
808 Walters St.
Mon - Thurs.: 8am - 1pm.
Please call 337.480.8271
World AIDS Day - December 1st, 2018
Please join us for: THE STORY OF US - A Message in the Music.
DATE: Saturday, December 1, 2017
LOCATION: Warren United Methodist Church
1800 Orchid St., Lake Charles, LA 70601
• Pizza Artista Fundraiser for SLAC. October 17th, 2018.
Order a pizza at Pizza Artista in the Prien Lake Mall on October 17, and Pizza Artista will donate 20% to SLAC.
Remember, you MUST mention SLAC during checkout for SLAC to receive the donation.
Thank you for your help and participation!
www.pizzaartista.com •. 337- 602-6224
• Louisiana’s HIV TESTING DAY is June 27! To get more information and find a testing center near you please visit www.lahub.org.
The 10th Annual Pride Festival of Southwest Louisiana.
Saturday, May 26, 2018 at the Lake Charles Civic Center Amphitheater,
from 12pm to 7pm. Click here to see the flier.
SLAC CLOSED due to inclement winter weather.
BECAUSE OF THE HARSH WEATHER CONDITIONS, SLAC WILL BE CLOSED TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 16 & 17, 2018. AT THIS TIME, WE PLAN TO REOPEN ON THURSDAY. THANK YOU AND PLEASE BE SAFE!
OFFICES CLOSED: Monday, January 15, 2018 - in celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
OUR OFFICES WILL RE-OPEN Tuesday, January 16, 2018
World AIDS Day 2017
Begun in 1988, World AIDS Day is held annually on December 1, allowing people from around the world to band together in order to show their support for people living with HIV, honor those who have left us, for individuals and groups to add their efforts to the prevention and awareness of HIV, and reduce the stigma of outdated stereotypes and myths regarding HIV/AIDS.
For information on SLAC’s 2017 WORLD AIDS DAY celebration, please click here.
• Special HIV Testing Hours on December 1 at RWC, from 8am-3pm, in honor of World AIDS Day 2017.
Things you can do to support WORLD AIDS DAY.
• Wear a red ribbon on December 1st.
• Help spread the word about testing: Know Your Status; Get Tested!
• Educated yourself on the facts regarding HIV and AIDS, treatments, and strategies for prevention.
• Visit the World AIDS Day website.
• Post regarding World AIDS Day on your social media pages.
• Add the World AIDS Day campaign to your Facebook or Twitter profile.
• Many choose to organize events on this day to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS, raise money for HIV causes, celebrate survivors, and/or honor loved ones who have died.
OFFICES CLOSED THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 23-24, 2017
OUR OFFICES WILL RE-OPEN MONDAY, NOVEMBER 27.
OFFICES CLOSED MONDAY, TUESDAY, and WEDNESDAY AUGUST 28-30, 2017
DUE TO HURRICANE / TS HARVEY, OUR OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED MONDAY, TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28-30, 2017. Office will RE-OPEN Thursday, August 31.
Everyone please be safe. Thank you!
Back to School Bashes!
There are a number of agencies and organizations having “back to school bashes” for school supplies over the next few weeks. A few of them are highlighted below. A full list is available at the SLAC office or can be mailed to you upon request.
• Prien Lake Mall, Lake Charles, in the Sear’s Court area. August 5th, from 11am-1pm. Sponsored by Amerigroup.
• Allen August Multipurpose Center, 2001 Moeling Street in Lake Charles. August 5th, from 10am-12pm (noon). Sponsored by Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and One Weak Too Strong Ministries.
• Pryce-Miller Recreation Center, 216 Albert Street in Lake Charles. August 5th, from 1am - 11am. Sponsored by REACH. An adult must accompany all children.
• Lake Charles Civic Center Exhibition Hall. August 11th, from 10am-2pm. Sponsored by KZWA and Billy Navarre Chevrolet.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIRE PRE-REGISTRATION:
• In DeRidder, BeauCare will accept applications in August. Call 337.462.2273. Applications available at 628 High School Drive in DeRidder.
• In Sulphur, CARE=HELP of Sulphur is accepting applications in July. Must provide proof of Sulphur residence and proof of income. Applications taken from 9am-1pm and 2pm-4pm Monday through Friday. Apply at 112 E. Thomas St. Call 337.287.4793.
• Families Helping Families provides school supplies for special needs children. Must pre-register and meet other requirements. Call 37.436.2570 or 800.894.6558 for details. Parents must attend one (1) school supply workshop and provide IEP less than one year old.
• In Vinton, August 5th, from 9am-2pm. 1615 Horridge Street, Vinton. Must register at 337.764.6874.
Medicaid Open Enrollment
Open enrollment for “Healthy Louisiana” (Medicaid) begins June 30, 2017.
If you do not have Medicaid and your income is at or below 138% of the poverty level ($16,644 for a single person or $22,416 for a couple), this is your chance to apply.
You can apply online, at Moss Memorial Health Clinics, at Southwest Louisiana Center for Health Services, or by phone at 855.229.5848.
If you have Medicaid and want to change your plan, this is also the time to do so! Remember, Moss Memorial Health Clinics and Lake Charles Memorial Hospital do not accept Aetna Healthy Louisiana plans.
SLAC Closed June 1 &2, 2017
DUE TO A MANDATORY STAFF TRAINING, WE WILL BE CLOSED JUNE 1 & 2 (THURSDAY AND FRIDAY).
NO CASE MANAGEMENT or FOOD PANTRY SERVICES WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THESE DAYS.
Please make prior arrangements. Thank you very much.
Office Moving - Dates closed
SLAC will be closed from March 30, 2017 through April 10, 2017, as we move into our new offices. Please make sure to attend to any business before 5pm on March 29.
The new address for services will be:
425 Kingsley, Lake Charles, LA 70601
We look forward to serving you at our new building.
R&WC and CCC remain open for normal business hours.
PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) is a once-daily medication for persons who are HIV-negative that can reduce the chance of contracting HIV. By taking one pill a day, PrEP can help prevent the transmission of HIV if exposed to the virus. Various studies have shown that taking medicine consistently significantly lowered the risk of being infected over those who did not take the pill.
PrEP takes up to 3 weeks to be effective.
Combining PrEP with condoms and other prevention methods further decreases the chances for getting HIV. Therefore, risk-reduction strategies outside of PrEP should still be used, as PrEP does not protect from other STI's (Sexually Transmitted Infections).
Visit your physician for more complete information and to find out if PrEP is right for you.
Private insurances usually cover PrEP, however, deductibles an co-pays for medication may require out -of-pocket cost.
Louisiana Medicaid covers office visits, lab tests, and prescription costs.
Medicare Part D also covers the medication, but you may still be responsible for co-pays.
• Prophylaxis: To prevent or control the the spread of an infection or disease.
World AIDS Day 2016
DATE: Thursday, December 1 - 2016
TIME: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
LOCATION: Warren Methodist Church
1800 Orchid St. (at 3rd Ave.)
Lake Charles, LA 70601
SLAC, in partnership with Warren United Church, invites you to join us in recognition of World AIDS Day 2016.
Guest speakers: Robert Suttle (Assist. Director of Sero) and Nomica Guillory
Refreshments following Service.
For more information on WORLD AIDS DAY, please click on the image or you can visit the World AIDS Day website.
Nutritional Supplement (Ensure, Boost, etc.) guidelines
In order to receive nutritional supplements like Ensure or Boost, clients must:
• Get a referral to the Moss Memorial nutritionist from your medical provider.
• If you are current in care, you can request an appointment by calling the CCC nurse or a case manager.
If you are out of care, you will have to see Dr. C or Ruthie in order to schedule an appointment with the nutritionist.
• The nutritionist is in the clinic in Thursday mornings in August and September, but will be going on maternity leave in October. She can also be seen Monday-Friday in her office on the Moss campus.
If Medicaid is your primary insurance...
SLAC’s taxi service is “money of last resort”. This means that if any other form of transportation is available to you, you MUST use that source of transportation, not rely on the taxi service.
ALL Medicaid plans have a transportation program. The number to contact your plan’s transportation service is printed on the back of your Medicaid card.
You must call a minimum of 2-3 days in advance of your appointment in to set up your transportation. (Louisiana Health Care Connections also has a program for urgent care appointments.)
Message from our Executive Director, regarding the Orlando shootings.
To our friends, staff and volunteers, and to the community we serve, We are deeply saddened by the loss of life and harm caused to our LBGTQ brothers and sisters in Orlando. Like many of you, we are experiencing waves of conflicting emotions in our effort to make sense of this brutal tragedy. We want you to know that our organization is one of love and tolerance and that we are here for you.
Our staff, as well as counselors that we have reached out to, will be available to assist you through processing your grief about this horrific event and to address any fears that you may have with regard to your own personal safety and wellbeing. We are also able to offer space and facilitation for those who want to participate in small group therapy sessions or in peer support groups.
Please contact Carol Giles, Director of Client Services at 439-5861 for more information.
Prayers that love and peace will win in the end.